Friday, April 4, 2014

50th Birthday Celebration - Western Style



We recently celebrated my sister's 50th birthday western style in Tombstone, Arizona.  Faith wanted a simple, relaxing weekend in the old western town laden with history.

My parents and I (we both live in the Phoenix area) drove to Tombstone to meet up with Faith and her boyfriend, John (they live in the Seattle area).  Faith, John, and I stayed in a small, comfortable cabin at Katie's Cozy Cabins just two blocks from downtown Tombstone.  Katie's has four cabins that sleep up to six people.  Each cabin has a kitchenette consisting of a microwave, stovetop, refrigerator, sink and coffee maker.  A 19" television with cable and a DVD player was located in the main cabin area.  There were three DVDs in the cabin including. . .yes, you guessed it, Tombstone! The bathroom was small but adequate with a toilet, shower, and sink.  Although none of us traveled with our dogs, Katie's does allow pets for a small additional fee.  I would stay here again without hesitation.  My parents stayed at the Tombstone Grand Hotel and were very comfortable.

Katie's Cozy Cabins
The town of Tombstone is adorable.  We started our Saturday with breakfast at a local diner.  The next stop was 1880's Costume Rental where Faith had reserved a costume for the day.  Shop owner, Diane Fenton greeted us and helped Faith become an 1880's woman from head to toe.  While some might think she was alone in her idea to dress up, a day spent in town made it clear that dressing the part is very common.

Our day consisted of wandering through the shops in town, visiting the O.K. Corral, the Tombstone Historama, the Birdcage Theater, and Boot Hill Cemetery.  Faith's birthday dinner was at The Crystal Palace Saloon.

Faith and John with the Earp brothers &
Doc Holliday at the O.K. Corral gunfight


We spent the evening playing BINGO with other guests at the Tombstone Grand Hotel, opening birthday gifts, enjoying western birthday cookies, and playing cards and a few other games.  It was a perfect, low-key evening.

I made the western birthday cookies.  Although I do a fair amount of baking, this was my first go at royal icing.  I read a lot of blogs about making it and making it flavorful.  The frosting did the job.  The cookies were easy to pack and the hard frosting prevented any damage to the designs but, the tradeoff in taste wasn't worth it.  I will stick to buttercream.  I had some hits and some misses with the decorating but all in all it was a fun project and the cookies looked good and fit the western theme.  Of course they were pink!





Keeping with the western theme (and pink).  I used my Silhouette Cameo to make this cute cowgirl boot birthday card.  The card design isn't mine - it was a purchased designed.  The card folds open and there are two small brads that allow it to be propped in the open position as shown in the photo below.  My design contribution is the envelope.  I know, isn't an envelope and envelope?  Yes, it is. . .sort of.  It was the first thing I designed using the Silhouette software.  Perhaps I'll post some new, more adventurous designs soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment